Programme and Monitoring Officer
Title: Programme and Monitoring Officer
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Waves for Change Mission Statement: W4C is a multi-award winning non-profit providing child-friendly mental health services in communities where mental health services are under-resourced & stigmatized. W4C provides vulnerable children with caring adults, safe spaces, challenging tasks and surf therapy sessions, helping youth regulate behaviour, cope with stress, build healing relations and make positive life choices.
W4C delivers programmes in South Africa and Liberia, operates partnerships in Somalia, and convenes the International Surf Therapy Organisation annually.
Position Summary: You build capacity of 6 Site Managers, ensuring they understand their weekly and monthly reporting targets. You ensure all reports are submitted timeously, and that all beneficiaries and stakeholders engaging with W4C Surf Therapy programmes complete necessary impact measurement activities. You make sure all data coming from the field if captured, cleaned and stored neatly in W4C databases and dashboards, ready for weekly management meetings and bi-annual evaluations. You also coordinate the head office, ensuring operations and logistics associated with all Surf Therapy programmes are executed smoothly.
You will have experience in project management and data management, working mostly in excel and google. As a key link between the field and W4C administrative staff, you will have excellent interpersonal skills, with Xhosa and/or English as a first language. You’ll be expected to make assertive decisions, based on weekly, monthly and annual workplans, and evidence you collect from the field. You will be an independent worker, excellent at time-management and prioritising of tasks, both your own and those of the Site Managers you will support.
This role will suit an ambitious graduate looking to wear multiple hats, make decisions and grow both themselves and others. You will work alongside a programme team of 3, supporting a team of 6 site managers. You will play a key role in the management and execution of Surf Therapy programmes across South Africa.
- Execute MEL workplan set by MEL Director, in partnership with Site Managers (SMs), to ensure programme is delivered with fidelity.
- Ensure 6-monthly child assessment pre/mid/post tests are completed and captured
- Monitor collection of and capture 6-monthly consent forms
- Ensure and assist SMs to conduct quarterly parent and teacher events
- Conduct 6-monthly focus group discussions and interviews in the field
- Work with SMs, MEL Director to develop weekly and annual work plans
- 6-monthly set-up of surf therapy classes and subsequent attendance registers
- 6-monthly audit of child attendance; identify graduates and available spaces for intake
- 6-monthly establish and track coach child case-loads.
- Populate local reports
- Conduct audits of W4C annual workplans, and individual site workplans to track progress.
- Maintenance of W4C databases. Ensure all databases clean of duplicate data, all data points are stored under the correct heading and aligned.
- Review child attendance registers to ensure accuracy
- Review class performance trends and communicate to Site Managers classes in need of attention
- Manage population of weekly Programme Dashboards (Attendance, Site Assessment, etc). Ensure targets set on Annual Work plan and Site Weekly Work plans are being met – if targets are being missed, discuss and team with National Director / Training Manager / MEL Director to find solutions as necessary
- Conduct one site assessment per week
- Provide the required monitoring data to inform weekly meetings with site managers, to reflect on programme dashboards & implementation fidelity, including:
- Child and coach attendance, SA Team Meeting Agenda and Minutes, Case Loads, 1:1s with children, School Visits, and any additional data needing collecting
- Ensure child attendance is captured by all sites on Coach Assist (mobile app)
- Track class attendance and direct Site Managers to follow-up on classes with poor performance
Manage W4C databases:
- If using data capturers, make sure all data entered timeously and accurately
- Ensure W4C databases are clean, and ready for evaluation via Excel
- Finance administration tasks such as petty cash, gift cards, coach attendance, payments requests, salary advances, airtime schedule, driver coordination and documentation, vendor management, leave forms, filing and admin
- Office administration tasks such as meeting minutes, deliveries, welcoming visitors, general maintenance
- Assist on Team Building for W4C SA Team
- Assist with programme logistics and administrative functions
- Assist with tasks that arise from weekly SA Team Meeting and Directors Meeting
- Assist with coach kit and orders of promotional materials.
- Assist with extra business and ad hoc tasks
- Manage W4C info email account and forward appropriately
You will work in partnership with the W4C Monitoring and Programme Team to ensure that surf therapy programmes are implemented in accordance with annual and weekly workplans.
Honours in Social Sciences / B.Comm or BSC
Additional qualifications and/or experience in: excel, data management, project management, monitoring and evaluation, computer science preferable.
Experience preferred: 2 years+ programme assistant or monitoring officer for a mid-sized NGO.
Send CV and your cover letter, motivating your application to:
email@example.com by 10th May 2018.
Should you not hear from us by the 15th of May you can consider your application unsuccessful